The Halifax Municipal Airport was the city’s first aerodrome built in 1931 and was located in the west end of the city. The airport operated until 1941 and was even used by Pan American Airways when it operated a route between Halifax and Boston. Unfortunately, civilian flights ceased with the outbreak of World War II and the land was converted to an army base and civil airport operations were moved to Shearwater in Dartmouth.
The land was later turned over to the city and in 1948, work began on the Westmount Subdivision where over 300 homes were built, and in honour of their war efforts World War II veterans were given the first chance to purchase these homes.
Saunders Park is an urban park located in the West End of Halifax on Chebucto Road, it serves the neighbourhood of Westmount and it is near hear that the hangars and terminal building were located. The park is named after Donald Saunders whose contribution to aviation in Halifax is explained on a plaque under the memorial sculpture in the park.